Monday, September 3, 2012

The inequity between "I Have To" and "I Get To"

#1. The inequity between "I Have To" and "I Get To"

The inequity between "I Have To" and "I Get To"

Have you ever notion about the huge divergence between the phrases "I have to" and "I get to"? In an age where there are so many opportunities vying for our attention, we tend to lose sight of the fact that the work we do and the families we raise are extraordinary privileges that swell or shrink with meaning and joy, according to the valuation and intentionality we put into appreciating and excelling in them.

The inequity between "I Have To" and "I Get To"

I recently had a selection to view something as either an "I have to" or an "I get to". It was a 2,985 mile trip over America to deposit a son and his car in Jacksonville, Florida. It could be a task or an adventure...an stamina trial or a relationship privilege.

The years we invest as a parent have been painted by a consumer and career culture as "lost years." Although I do sass that sometimes our children want or need us in times that are not convenient, in reality, the high-priced years of parenting go so fast. Why rush it? Why not revel in the friendship that can grow with teen and early twenties children? Why view its many task as "I have to" instead of "Wow, I get to do this for or with my kids or spouse. Man, I'm going to dig into it and cherish it, because we never know how long we'll have and relationships matter more than anything else."

This week, I notion I'd share an excerpt from my journal entry on our trip over the country. My hope is that you will not only enjoy reading about our adventures, but that you will recognize that viewing things as opportunities instead of drudgery can bring to life even the easy tasks at we do at work, the care we put into our home environment, and the joy we put into shuttering our kids to school, practice, parties, games, and more.

Enjoy reading our adventures. When you're finished, please leave a annotation sharing an "I get to" sense of your own.

"Kory and I are driving over America to Jacksonville, Florida for his social relations internship, his first real job after college graduation. We aim for 600 miles a day with a microscopic fun along the way. We played a 9-hole golf course in Butte Montana from 8:00pm up to darkness. It had wide, connecting fairways so we never lost our ball and we saw an extraordinary sunset while golfing. We drove on to Bozeman to spend the night, played catch with a football in parking lots along the way and called it a long, fun day.

Tuesday we got to Rapid City and cut down to Mount Rushmore which was excellent. But we males gave it the "we came, we saw, we conquered...and left". Soon, we were out of there, refueling our bodies at Arbys (more throwing the football in the parking lot) and back to the freeway before dark. I enjoyed a late night swim in Mitchell, South Dakota at our Best Western, as Kory got a call into his girlfriend.

Our only fight of the trip came in Montana as I tried to take his picture when he was driving with a backdrop out of his window of a great Montana cliff formation. He held up his hand to shield the camera and said "no". I insisted "yes, this is why I bought this movable camera." I was mad. Kory was firm. I said it was "stupid" to not let me take his picture. He said I was "stupid" to insist. No picture, but he did begrudge me a semi-smiling photo of him with Mount Rushmore in the background.

Thursday night we spent our first night with friends, Michael and Debbie, and a few of their kids and dogs. Home cooked meals, conversation, a integrate sessions of Jack Bauer intensity in "24" and we were ready for our fifth six-hundred mile day and arriving in Jacksonville on Friday night.

Kory got to swim in the Atlantic for the first time. We threw the football on a Jacksonville beach, our fifth state in which to toss the ball in a week. We met Kory's roommates and his bosses and I felt pretty darn good flying home Monday with the echo in my ears of Kory saying, "I could not have two nicer roommates or bosses". I shook his hand, told him I loved him and was crystal clear after spending a week with this great guy when I said "you're going to do great in this career of yours."

share the Facebook Twitter Like Tweet. Can you share your input here The inequity between "I Have To" and "I Get To".


No comments:

Post a Comment